Oct 18, 2021  
2020-2021 Catalog 
2020-2021 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Transfer Policies and Procedures

Academic Transfer

When Considering a Transfer

Understand that the receiving college or university decides what credits transfer and whether or not those credits meet its degree requirements.

Realize that the accreditation of both the originating and the receiving institutions can affect the transfer of credits you earn.

Know that transfer courses don’t necessarily help you graduate. Baccalaureate degree programs usually count credits in three categories: general education, departmental requirements, and electives. It’s nice that your credits transfer, but the real question is, “Will my credits meet the requirements of my chosen program?” Accept the fact that a change in your career goal or major may increase the number of credits you must take to graduate.

Visit your chosen transfer college whenever possible. You learn more about a school by visiting. While you’re there, talk to everybody you can: students, admissions officers, financial aid staff, counselors, and instructors. Call or e-mail your transfer college whenever you can’t get answers to your questions. Your chosen school is your best source of information.

Request all the written information your transfer school has to offer, such as catalogs, brochures, applications, and departmental publications.

Applying for Transfer Admission

Apply as early as possible before deadlines.

Remember to enclose the necessary application fees.

Request official transcripts be sent from every institution you have attended. Check to see if high school transcripts or GED test scores are required.

Check to make sure all necessary application materials have been received.

Recheck with your transfer school regarding your application status if you haven’t heard from them in a month.

Request a written evaluation of transfer credit as soon as possible. Transfer credit evaluations are usually available once you have been accepted for admission.

Transferring from GHC

GHC has set its general education requirements for the associate degrees (Direct Transfer Agreement/Major Related Programs) to conform with the guidelines of the Washington Inter-College Relations Commission (ICRC) for direct transfer of those degree credits. Washington baccalaureate colleges and universities also accept these guidelines. Students entering with AA degrees from GHC are considered to be in their junior year and to have completed the general education requirements at these baccalaureate institutions.

Individuals who plan to transfer from GHC to a baccalaureate college or university are expected to meet the entrance requirements of that institution at the time of their transfer. You should obtain current catalogs from the institution to which you plan to transfer and study entrance requirements as well as suggested freshman- and sophomore-level courses in your major field of interest. Institutions differ in their treatment of credits received with a pass grade for courses in a major field and may compute a pass grade as a “C” or “D” grade.

Transfer Advising appointments are available through Student Services.

Last minute changes in your major field of study or in your choice of baccalaureate institution may create problems in transferring. Such changes should be made in consultation with an advisor.

GHC courses numbered below 100 are not transferable. Courses with titles containing the word “technical” or “technology” are not transferable to all baccalaureate institutions, but they may transfer to some of these colleges. You should work closely with faculty advisors before attempting to transfer courses that are specialized components of professional and technical education programs or listed by the Inter-College Relations Commission (ICRC) as “restricted subject area” courses. Associate in Applied Science-Transfer degrees transfer to some colleges. Work with your advisor for transferring options.

You may earn more than 90 credit hours at GHC, but the total number of credits accepted for transfer will be determined by the institution to which you transfer. Students who have completed the Washington 45 requirements may be able to transfer and apply a maximum of 45 quarter credits toward general education requirements at any other public and most private higher education institutions in the state. For more information about Washington 45, see the GHC website, www.ghc.edu. The list of courses in Washington 45 does not replace the Direct Transfer Agreement, Associate of Science Tracks 1 and 2, or any Major Related Program agreement, nor will it guarantee admission to a four-year institution.

Transferring to GHC

Course-by-Course Transfer

GHC transfers credit on a course-by-course basis. Students wishing to transfer credit from another institution must submit a request to their previous college(s) to have their official transcript sent directly to the Welcome Center. Official transcripts from other institutions must be received in their original, sealed envelope in order to be evaluated. Transcripts from institutions outside of the United States that are notarized or sealed in other manners but not in their original sealed envelopes may be considered on a case-by-case basis. Courses will be evaluated for equivalency to GHC coursework or applicability to GHC degrees. When a course is accepted in transfer, the same number of credits as was originally assigned to the course will be assigned at GHC. Semester credits are converted to quarter credits on a basis of 1.5 quarter credits for each semester credit (i.e. 3 semester credits equal 4.5 quarter credits).

Transfer evaluations are typically completed within six weeks.

Although there is no limit on the number of credits a student may transfer to GHC before graduating, the student must meet all GHC degree requirements, including residency requirements, for any degree or certificate.


Courses numbered below 100 are not transferable to GHC, however, they may be noted on a written evaluation if they can be used as a prerequisite to GHC courses.

Transfer credit is usually not accepted for the following types of study or coursework: 1) courses taken at colleges and universities that are not regionally accredited; 2) noncredit courses and workshops; 3) remedial or college preparatory courses; and 4) sectarian religious studies. Exceptions must be approved by the Vice-President for Instruction.

Credit from military training transcribed on the Joint Services Transcript or from an institution outside of the United States that is recognized by the relevant national authority is considered to be credit from a regionally accredited institution.

Reciprocity of Distribution Areas and Reverse Transfer

Students who have begun work on a transfer associate degree (DTA or Associate in Science-Transfer) at another Washington Community College and have certain requirements may be eligible to have those requirements considered to be met at GHC even if they would not otherwise have done so. Additionally, students who have already transferred to certain public universities in the State of Washington may be eligible to complete and receive the benefit of their transfer degrees by transferring credit back to Grays Harbor College. Students should contact the Welcome Center at enrollment@ghc.edu or via phone at (360)532-9020 for more information. Transcripts for students who meet requirements via reciprocity will be noted with the name of the sending institution.


Students who wish to appeal a decision concerning acceptance of transfer credit should do so in writing to the Vice President for Instruction.

Academic Credit for Prior Learning

GHC accepts equivalency credit awarded for prior experiential learning or by approved testing methods which reflect previous training, private study, work completed at other institutions, or other bona fide qualifications that indicate the student has the knowledge or abilities equivalent to course completers. Methods of assessment include but are not limited to: Credit by Testing (CLEP), Credit by Extra-Institutional learning (Military and Industry Training), and credit by Prior Experiential Learning (Portfolio). No more than 25% of required credits for a degree or certificate may be satisfied by prior experience learning. For more information regarding Academic Credit for Prior Learning, please contact the office of Instruction at (360) 538-4009.

Advanced Placement

GHC awards advanced standing to entering students based upon levels of performance on the advanced placement (AP) examinations administered by the College Entrance Examination Board. An office transcript from College Board must be submitted to receive credit. For more information regarding advanced placement please contact the Welcome Center at (360)532-9020.