Requirements for Graduation from GHC
- Earn a minimum of ninety quarter hours of credit in college-level courses numbered 100 and above.
- Earn a minimum of 25 quarter hours applicable toward the degree while in attendance at Grays Harbor College.
- Earn a cumulative grade-point average of 2.0 or better in all college-level work, including transfer credits.
- Meet the graduation requirements in effect during the year in which the student started a program leading to a degree. These requirements must be met within a seven-year period. The student also has the option to meet the requirements in effect at the time of graduation. Students who are absent from the college for more than two quarters (excluding summer) may only use the degree requirements in effect at the time they return or at the time of graduation.
- Fulfill all obligations to the College, financial or otherwise.
- Satisfy all specific requirements for the degree sought.
- Declare a program of study on the admissions application form, or in the case of a change in program, complete a change of program form at Enrollment Services.
Application for Degrees or Certificates
Students must submit an application for graduation in order for their transcript to be evaluated for certificate or degree completion. A separate application must be submitted for each certificate or degree a student plans to complete. This application is usually completed during registration for the fourth quarter of attendance and must be submitted no later than the start of the final quarter of attendance. The College may choose to award degrees and certificates to students who have met the relevant requirements regardless of whether the student has applied for graduation.
Exceptions, Substitutions and Waivers
No one shall be excused from completing any course required for graduation without first receiving the approval of the Vice President for Instruction. Letters of petition must be submitted before the graduation term.
An official transcript is a copy of the student’s permanent grade record which is signed by the appropriate student records officer and carries the official seal of the College. If a student is to furnish an official transcript to another college or university, it usually must be mailed directly to the registrar of that institution. Students can order a transcript through the National Student Clearinghouse, information is available on our website through transcript requests.
Students can receive a copy of their unofficial transcript through their GHC portal.
Graduation Ceremony Participation
Students who complete the requirements for a degree in any quarter of the academic year may participate in the graduation ceremony in June of that academic year. Students who are within 15 credits of completing graduation requirements at the conclusion of spring quarter and are registered for all of their remaining coursework during the subsequent summer quarter may take part in commencement exercises; however, degrees will not be awarded until all requirements have been completed.
Students must notify the Office of Student Services no later than mid-term of spring quarter of the year they intend to graduate in order to receive information about a cap and gown.