May 17, 2022
CMST& 210 - Interpersonal Communication
Eligible for ENGL& 101 or concurrent enrollment in ENGL 095 .
Introduces students to the fundamentals of interpersonal communication theory. Emphasizes key functions of communication, self-concept, perception, conversation skills, relationship development, maintenance, and disengagement, self-disclosure, assertiveness, and conflict management strategies.
5 theory hours.
AA Specified Elective
Satisfies humanities distribution area F requirement or specified elective for the AA degree.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Gather information from peer-reviewed publications and other print and electronic media sources
- Analyze personal communication skills, cultural communication phenomena, and scholarly work in the field of communication
- Compose an analytic paper based on principles of interpersonal communication and evidence from appropriate and credible sources
- Identify and apply fundamental concepts of interpersonal communication to create and maintain relationships
- Analyze their role in society and examine how it influences their experiences, values, and choices in the process of communication
- Identify and distinguish between assertive, passive, and aggressive behavior
- Distinguish between intrapersonal, interpersonal, group, and public communication
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)