Oct 22, 2021
ELA 040 - English Language Acquisition - Reading I
Appropriate CASAS placement score.
This is course is designed for non-native English speakers who want to improve their basic reading skills and who have very little knowledge of English. The class will emphasize reading skills needed to communicate more effectively in everyday life. Basic math concepts, including reading math texts and word problems, will also be included.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will:
- Use appropriate basic reading strategies
- Use critical thinking skills to interpret a variety of basic texts
- Apply basic reading strategies to math texts and word problems
- Build basic everyday vocabulary
- Show comprehension of basic types of texts
- Demonstrated knowledge of how to use technology to enhance reading
- Be able to determine what a variety of texts state explicitly
This course does not meet any degree requirements.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)