Oct 19, 2021
ELA 042 - English Language Acquisition - Speaking & Listening I
Appropriate CASAS placement score.
This course is designed for students with very limited knowledge of the English language. Emphasis is placed on improving a student’s ability to listen with understanding and communicate verbally. Course content includes the vocabulary and math needed to develop the foundational skills needed to move forward to further coursework.
Students who successfully complete this course will:
- Prepare for and participate in basic conversations
- Demonstrate a basic command of formal English
- Be able to present basic information
- Determine the key ideas of a speaker
- Be able to communicate basic number and math concepts verbally
- Build basic everyday vocabulary
- Use critical thinking skills to apply appropriate strategies to clarify and check for understanding
- Interact and collaborate with others
This course does not meet any degree requirements.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)