Oct 22, 2021
ENGL 233 - Survey of Children’s Literature
A grade of “C-” or better in ENGL& 101 .
Survey of Children’s Literature covers classic and contemporary literary selections designed for readers from pre-kindergarten through 8th grade. Books will be explored primarily for their content, but the course will also include discussion of the books’ use of both literary and visual-art form.
5 theory hours.
AA Specified Elective
Satisfies humanities distribution area D requirement or specified elective for the AA degree.
- Demonstrate understanding of the form, content, and context of literature written for children
- comprehending the complex characters, themes and ideas in the texts
- recognizing cultural and historical influences on examples of children’s literature
- understanding the structural and technical formal elements of the literature
- Craft meaningful responses to literature from a wide variety of authors and artists
- engaging in logical, evidence-backed discussion of the meaning and art of the texts
- analyzing and synthesizing ideas from the texts for a variety of purposes
- thinking critically about the texts, and about one’s own responses
- Use the writing process to communicate effectively about the literature
- writing critical and analytical responses to the texts in one’s own, appropriate voice
- writing clearly and thoughtfully about the meaning and art of the literature
- writing for a variety of purposes, including to analyze, critique, and justify
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)