Oct 19, 2021
ENGL 242 - Poetry Writing
A grade of “C-” or better in ENGL 095 or placement in ENGL& 101 .
This course emphasizes the various concerns surrounding the understanding and creation of poetry. Topics addressed in the course include the processes of drafting and revision, analysis of literary style and technique, and methods of offering and accepting constructive criticism. Students are expected to write a variety of poetic exercises, as well as submit original manuscripts for workshop critique, during the course of the quarter.
2 theory hours.
AA Specified Elective
Satisfies specified elective requirement for the AA degree.
- Understanding and manipulating the major structural elements of poetry
- Understanding and manipulating the essential techniques of imaginative writing
- Observing and employing the rules of standard English usage
- Developing initial ideas into coherent, structured draft poems
- Accepting feedback about writing for idea, voice, style, fluency
- Considering others’ feedback and using appropriate tools for revision
- Revising poems to enhance structure and technique
- Reading the work of others in order to understand and evaluate
- Offering constructive feedback about idea, voice, style, fluency
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)