Nov 28, 2021
ENGL 243 - Playwriting
A grade of “C-” or better in ENGL 095 or placement in ENGL& 101 .
This course emphasizes the various concerns surrounding the understanding and creation of 10-minute and one-act plays. Topics addressed in the course include the processes of drafting and revision, analysis of literary style and technique, and methods of offering and accepting constructive criticism. Additionally, the collaborative nature of playwriting, as compared to writing fiction or poetry, will be addressed; a play is not complete until the writer has involved others in the creative process. The student is expected to submit original manuscripts during the quarter.
2 theory hours.
AA Specified Elective
Satisfies specified elective credit for the AA degree.
- Understanding and manipulating the major structural elements of dramatic form
- Understanding and manipulating the essential techniques of imaginative writing
- Observing and employing the rules of standard English usage
- Developing initial ideas into coherent, structured draft plays
- Accepting feedback about writing for idea, voice, style, fluency
- Considering others’ feedback and using appropriate tools for revision
- Revising plays to enhance structure and technique
- Reading the work of others in order to understand and evaluate
- Offering constructive feedback about idea, voice, style, fluency
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)