Oct 19, 2021
ENGL 283 - Playwriting II
A grade of “C” or better in ENGL 243 .
English 283 is a continuation of ENGL 243 , emphasizing the various concerns surrounding the understanding and creation of the one-act play. Topics addressed in the course include the processes of drafting and revision, analyses of literary style and technique, and methods of offering and accepting constructive criticism. Additionally, the collaborative nature of playwriting will be addressed: a play is not complete until the writer has involved others in the creative process. The student is expected to submit original manuscripts during the quarter.
2 theory hours.
AA Specified Elective
Satisfies specified elective requirement for the AA degree.
- Understand and employ elements of dramatic form and content
- Understanding and manipulating the major structural elements of dramatic form
- Understanding and manipulating the essential techniques of imaginative writing
- Use the steps in the writing process to craft effective plays
- Developing initial ideas into coherent, structured draft plays
- Accepting feedback about writing for idea, voice, style, fluency
- Considering others’ feedback and using appropriate tools for revision
- Revising plays to enhance structure and technique
- Observing and employing the rules of standard English usage
- Use collaborative critical tools to benefit classmates in their playwriting
- Reading the work of others in order to understand and evaluate
- Offering constructive feedback about idea, voice, style, fluency
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)