Sep 21, 2021
HSSA& 101 - Introduction to Addictive Drugs
Introduction to the physiological, psychological and sociological aspects of addiction. The student will learn to analyze patterns of substance use disorders and addiction associated with alcohol, prescription, over the counter and illegal substances. The course introduces the student to methods of prevention, assessing the degree of involvement potential substance users have with alcoholism and addiction.
4 theory hours.
Vocational Program Course
Vocational program course.
AA General Elective
May be used as a general elective in the AA degree.
Students will be familiar with:
- Various etiological theories of alcoholism
- Effects of alcohol and alcoholism on the body
- Effects of alcoholism within the family system
- The behavioral effects of alcoholism and sociological consequences
- Distinguishing between drug use and abuse
- Prevention, intervention and treatment/alcoholism and drug abuse
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)