May 17, 2022
HUMDV 150 - Tutoring Techniques
This class prepares students to become peer tutors. We will explore the role and responsibilities of a peer tutor, adult learning theory, learning styles, effective tutoring techniques, communication skills, and creating a positive environment. Practicum will include observation and supervised tutoring in the GHC Learning Center. Actual tutoring experiences will be evaluated during the quarter.
AA General Elective
Satisfies general elective requirement for the AA degree.
Peer tutors who complete Tutoring Techniques will be able to:
- Assist GHC students in successfully in reaching their academic goals
- Identify the role of tutor as one who is there to help each student learn to help himself, rather than to complete assignments
- Refer Learning Center clients to resources available on campus
- Manage difficult situations they may encounter while tutoring
- Verbalize specific habits that lead to academic success
- Communicate effectively with students and college faculty and staff
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)