Oct 18, 2021
HUMDV 151 - Interpersonal Skills
Placement in READ 080 and ENGL 060 .
This class is designed to assist students in increasing the effectiveness of their interactions with others. Students will gain skills in topics such as effective listening, initiating conversations, assertive communication, conflict resolution, and the use of appropriate body language and nonverbal communication. The goal is to help each student to develop an awareness of his or her own communication strengths and weaknesses and to teach each student to express thoughts, feelings and opinions in an effective, socially appropriate manner. Instruction techniques will include theory, role playing, extensive use of group activities and discussion, and practice assignments.
2 theory hours.
AA General Elective
Satisfies general elective requirement for the AA degree.
- Students will learn about various communication styles, including their advantages and disadvantages
- Students will develop an awareness of communication strengths and weaknesses
- Students will gain skills in active listening
- Students will learn about assertive behavior and why it is important
- Students will learn steps for a successful change to assertive behavior
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)