Oct 22, 2021
MEDAS 133 - Exam Room (Clinical) Procedures
Completion of MEDAS 110 , MEDAS 114 , MEDAS 131 , and MEDAS 132 with a grade of “B-” or better.
This course introduces basic examination techniques, including patient prep, vital signs, care and usage of the otoscope, ear/eye exams, and documentation. Physical environment safety, asepsis & infection control will be applied to: wound & burn care, assisting with minor office surgery, sutures & suture removal. Student will identify surgical instruments & proper care of instruments, and operate autoclave.
3 theory hours.
Guided Practice Hours
4 guided practice hours.
Vocational Program Course
Vocational program course.
AA General Elective
May be used as a general elective in the AA degree.
- Measure and record:
- blood pressure
- length (infant)
- head circumference (infant)
- pulse oximetry
- Instruct and prepare a patient for a procedure or a treatment
- Assist provider with a patient exam
- Document on a growth chart
- Prepare items for autoclaving
- Perform sterilization procedures
- Prepare a sterile field
- Perform within a sterile field
- Perform wound care
- Perform dressing change
- Instruct a patient according to patient’s special dietary needs
- Show awareness of patient’s concerns regarding a dietary change
- Coach patients regarding:
- health maintenance
- disease prevention
- treatment plan
Acceptance into the Medical Assistant program required.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)