Oct 22, 2021
MEDAS 136 - Medical Lab Procedures II
Completion of MEDAS 135 with a grade of “B-” or better.
This course continues blood chemistry, blood glucose monitoring, cholesterol screening, hemocults, serology, microbiology and toxicology testing. Pulmonology testing with peak flow meters and spirometers and treatments using small volume nebulizers will be performed, along with ECG recording.
3 theory hours.
Guided Practice Hours
4 guided practice hours.
Vocational Program Course
Vocational program course.
AA General Elective
May be used as a general elective in the AA degree.
- Measure and record:
- blood pressure
- pulse oximetry
- capillary puncture
- pulmonary function testing
- Perform patient screening using established protocols
- Perform a quality control measure
- Obtain specimens and perform:
- CLIA waived chemistry test
- CLIA waived immunology test
- CLIA waived microbiology test
- Incorporate critical thinking skills when performing patient assessment
- Incorporate critical thinking skills when performing patient care
- Show awareness of a patient’s concerns related to the procedure being performed
- Maintain lab test results using flow sheets
- Reassure a patient of the accuracy of the test results
- Use medical terminology correctly and pronounced accurately to communicate information to providers and patients
- Report relevant information concisely and accurately
- Explain to a patient the rationale for performance of a procedure
- Perform routine maintenance of administrative or clinical equipment
- Document patient care accurately in the medical record
- Identify CLIA waived tests associated with common diseases
- Identify quality assurance practices in healthcare
Acceptance into the Medical Assistant program required.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)