MEDAS 137 - Pharmacology and Medication Administration
Completion of MATH 097 with a grade of “C-“or better or placement in MATH 098 , MEDAS 133 and MEDAS 134 with a grade of “B-” or better.
This course includes a review of MEDAS 133 and an overview of drug therapy and theory relative to medical assisting. Oral and parenteral medication administration techniques and practice included.
3 theory hours.
Guided Practice Hours
4 guided practice hours.
Vocational Program Course
Vocational program course.
AA General Elective
May be used as a general elective in the AA degree.
MAERB Master Psychomotor Affective Competency Checklist containing the following outcomes:
I. Verify the rules of medication administration:
a. right patient
b. right medication
c. right dose
d. right route
e. right time
f. right documentation
2. Select proper sites for administering parenteral medication
3. Administer oral medications
4. Administer parenteral (excluding IV) medications
5. Instruct a patient according to patient’s special dietary needs
6. Show awareness of patient’s concerns regarding a dietary change
MAERB Master Cognitive Competency Checklist
1. Identify the classifications of medications including:
a. indications for use
b. desired effects
c. side effects
d. adverse reactions
Acceptance into the Medical Assistant program required.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)