May 17, 2022
MEDAS 153 - Medical Insurance Coding and Billing
Completion of MEDAS 151 with a grade of “B-” or better.
This course introduces medical insurance, billing, and coding. Overview of insurance plans, insurance claims, and health insurance terminology will be covered.
3 theory hours.
Guided Practice Hours
4 guided practice hours.
Vocational Program Course
Vocational program course.
AA General Elective
May be used as a general elective in the AA degree.
- Inform a patient of financial obligations for services rendered
- Demonstrate professionalism when discussing patient’s billing record
- Display sensitivity when requesting payment for services rendered
- Interpret information on an insurance card
- Verify eligibility for services including documentation
- Obtain precertification or preauthorization including documentation
- Complete an insurance claim form
- Interact professionally with third party representatives
- Display tactful behavior when communicating with medical providers regarding third party requirements
- Show sensitivity when communicating with patients regarding third party requirements
- Describe how to use the most current procedural coding system
- Describe how to use the most current diagnostic coding classification system
- Describe how to use the most current HCPCS level II coding system
- Discuss the effects of:
- Define medical necessity as it applies to procedural and diagnostic coding
Acceptance into the Medical Assistant program required.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)