Oct 19, 2021
MUSIC 118 - Beginning Piano Techniques II
MUSIC 117 or instructor permission.
This course is a continuation of MUSIC 117 . This in-depth study covers major scales, formation of relative minor scales, triad inversions, introduction of augmented and diminished triads, seventh chords, chord symbols, variations of bass patterns, intricate rhythm notations, arrangements and variations. Coursework includes written notation, harmonization, improvisation, and playing by ear. Repertoire played uses these concepts.
Guided Practice Hours
2 guided practice hours.
AA Specified Elective
Satisfies specified elective requirement for the AA degree.
- Completion of one text in one quarter, approximately ten-twelve units
- Development of functional skills at the keyboard, that is to be able to sight-read keyboard music adequately, improvise and play lead lines with accompaniment, and play selected repertoire
- Development of the ear through playing, listening, and critiquing
- Discovery of the joy of making music by oneself and with a group
- Ability to analyze and evaluate music
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)