Oct 19, 2021
NR 285 - Forest Resource Planning
NR 101 , NR 110 , NR 250 , NR 260 , NR 270 , NR 280 , or instructor permission.
This is a capstone course for the forest technician degree. The student will draw upon previous courses in the program to write a forest management plan that meets the standards of the American Tree Farm System. Students will meet with local forest land owners and work to either revise or create a management plan that will cover key topics of goals and objectives, stand and property descriptions, site conditions including soils, water courses and roads, forest health concerns, and fish and wildlife presence and habitat. A working map will be created with essential land characteristics identified. A final presentation will be made to the class and/or land owner along with the report.
Vocational Program Course
Vocational program course.
AA General Elective
May be used as a general elective in the AA degree.
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate how to complete a basic timber cruise and map
- Employ various computer programs to create sections of the management plan such as soils reports and maps
- Develop a list of goals and objectives based on landowner needs
- Identify potential forest health issues
- Formulate ideas for planned treatments of forest stands to make a silvicultural prescription
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)