Dec 02, 2021
SOC 106 - Juvenile Justice
ENGL 095 or placement in ENGL& 101 ; READ 090 or placement in college level reading.
This course will examine how the juvenile justice process has evolved and expanded as society has sought to understand, control and influence change in the delinquent behavior of children and youth. SOC 106 will examine the attitudes of and crimes committed by juvenile offenders, the juvenile legal system, and the response by police, courts and juvenile corrections.
5 theory hours.
AA Specified Elective
Satisfies social science distribution area C requirement or specified elective for the AA degree.
- Develop an understanding of critical thinking skills in juvenile justice
- Develop an understanding of differences between juvenile and adult justice
- Develop an understanding of concepts necessary to reduce delinquency
- Develop an understanding of the laws relating to juvenile delinquency
- Develop an understanding of the methods used for rehabilitation efforts
- Develop an understanding of the juvenile process from arrest to detention
- Develop an understanding of the necessary literature within the class setting
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)