Oct 19, 2021
TRANS 051 - Transitions Math I
Appropriate CASAS placement score.
This class is designed to develop and enhance a student’s understanding of the fundamental concepts of mathematics and beginning algebra and geometry. Emphasis is placed on the reading, speaking, listening and employability skills needed to become more knowledgeable in math as it relates to further education or employability. Content includes order of operations, fractions, decimals, ratios and measurement applications and more. This course is intended for students with a high school completion, placement score improvement or English Language Acquisition (ELA) goal.
By successfully this course students will:
Demonstrate Skills in Mathematical Reasoning:
- Have an understanding of place value for whole numbers and decimal numbers
- Be able to use order of operations to evaluate and simplify expressions
- Use exponents
- Identify factors and multiples of a number
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide with whole numbers, decimals, and fractions
- Display data in plots (dot plot, histogram, and box plots) on a number line and solve problems for mean, median, and mode
Demonstrate Competence in the Application of Mathematical Concepts:
- Be able to apply measurement and unit conversions
- Understand ratio concepts and use proportionate reasoning to solve problems
- Be able to use basic concepts that apply to ratios and percents
Demonstrate Literal and Inferential Reading and Listening Skills for Comprehension and Vocabulary Development:
- Use critical thinking skills to solve real-world mathematical problems involving geometric shapes and figures using a variety of formulas (perimeter, circumference, area, surface area, and volume)
- Use Mathematics Practices in problem solving such as reason abstractly and quantitatively, use appropriate tools strategically, and attend to precision
- Demonstrate the reading skills needed to effectively use course materials to enhance learning
This course does not meet any degree requirements.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)