TRANS 057 - Transitions Science
Appropriate CASAS Placement Scores.
This course will enhance a student’s reading, writing, speaking, listening, math, and employability skills by focusing on the fundamental concepts of Life Science, Physical Science, and Earth and Space Science. Emphasis will be placed on topics such as genetics, the human body, motion and forces, energy, and earth and its systems. This course is intended for a student with a high school completion (GED or HS21+) goal.
Students who successfully complete the course will:
Demonstrate literal and inferential reading/listening skills for comprehension and vocabulary development:
- Show improved literacy skills in reading, writing, and analyzing, and determining main ideas and key concepts
- Demonstrate critical thinking competency in analysis, synthesis, problem solving, and decision-making
- Show enhanced scientific vocabulary
- Demonstrate knowledge of key concepts in Life Science, Physical Science and Earth and Space Science
Demonstrate skills in mathematical reasoning and application:
- Demonstrate the ability to use math as it relates to scientific concepts and research
- Use critical thinking to show competence at using graphs, charts and diagrams to analyze information
Communicate clearly and effectively:
- Pay attention to conventions of English language use, including grammar, spelling, and sentence structure
- Be able to discuss scientific material and explain how different disciplines relate to each other
Demonstrate person responsibility in applying technology to enhance learning:
- Use technology, including the internet, to demonstrate the understanding of the role of research and to identify valid scientific resources
- Demonstrate personal responsibility by completing work in a timely manner to earn credit
This course does not meet any degree requirements.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)