Jan 27, 2022
TRANS 060 - Adult High School Completion - English
Appropriate CASAS Placement Scores; HS21+ Assessment Completed.
This course will enhance a student’s reading and writing skills by focusing on strengthening English communication skills, including formal writing style, organization, format, sentence structure, and grammar. Students will also learn to analyze and demonstrate understanding of recognized English literature and essays. Course materials are provided in an online learning environment. This course is intended for a student with a high school completion (GED or HS21+) or English Language Acquisition (ELA) goal to move forward on a pathway to further education or employability.
Students who successfully complete the course will:
- Demonstrate subject comprehension and vocabulary development
- Demonstrate skills in reasoning and application
- Evaluate a speaker’s point of view, reasoning, and use of evidence and rhetoric
- Use critical thinking skills to revise organization and content of the paragraph in structure, style, format, mechanics, and other elements while taking into account peer responses, instructor suggestions, and the writer’s own reflective analysis
- Demonstrate skills in reading, reasoning, and communication
- Demonstrate literal and inferential reading skills for comprehension and vocabulary development
- Show an expanded vocabulary and know how to define vocabulary in context
- Use reading as a means to exchange of ideas and integrate it with prior knowledge
- Write clearly and effectively
- Employ prewriting strategies to generate ideas for writing
- Develop ideas into effectively structured draft paragraphs
- Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience
This course does not meet any degree requirements.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)