Oct 22, 2021
TRANS 064 - Adult High School Completion - Science
Appropriate CASAS Placement Scores; HS21+ Assessment Completed.
This course will enhance a student’s reading, writing, listening and employability skills by focusing on teaching the fundamentals of science, including macro- and micro-science, and current theories and debates in modern science. Students will demonstrate competency in scientific fundamentals in biology, geology, and earth science, among other fields. Course materials are provided in an online learning environment. This course is intended for a student with a high school completion (HS21+) or English Language Acquisition (ELA) goal to move forward on a pathway to further education or employability.
Students who successfully complete the course will:
- Demonstrate subject comprehension and vocabulary development
- Understand the properties, structures, characteristics, and interactions of micro- and macroscopic organisms and minerals in living things and ecosystem
- Understand the basic concepts of the terrestrial environment and the interactions of the various aspects of the Earth system
- Show enhanced scientific vocabulary
- Demonstrate skills in reading, reasoning, and communication
- Use critical thinking skills and demonstrate understanding of the scientific process and the scientific method
- Develop an awareness and appreciation of our natural surroundings
- Demonstrate the ability to use math as it relates to scientific concepts and research
- Use critical thinking to show competence at using graphs, charts and diagrams to analyze information
- Use reading as a means to an exchange of ideas and integrate it with prior knowledge to address reading purpose
- Present ideas and information effectively
This course does not meet any degree requirements.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)