TRANS 070 - I-BEST Support
Appropriate CASAS Placement Scores; Co-Enrollment in Core Program class.
This course provides reading, language arts, writing, speaking and listening, mathematics, and work readiness support for students on a pathway to a degree in one of GHC’s IBEST programs. Enrolled students work toward improving their skills with curriculum contextualized to each specific I-BEST core program.
Students who successfully complete the course will:
Demonstrate literal and inferential reading/listening skills for comprehension and vocabulary development:
- Read technical texts, diverse media and formats independently and proficiently, as well as determine explicit meaning, and make logical inferences
- Use critical thinking skills to be able to interpret words and phrases used in a text to determine technical meanings
- Evaluate a speaker’s point of view, reasoning, and use of evidence and rhetoric
Communicate clearly and effectively:
- Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience
- Present information, findings, and supporting evidence such that listeners can follow the line of reasoning and the organization, development, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience
- Demonstrate command of conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking
- Create an application, resume, and cover letter
- Work with others with respect, negotiate conflicts, and listen actively
Demonstrate skills in mathematical reasoning and application:
- Be able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, fractions, and decimal numbers and understand and use ratios and percents
- Use Mathematics Practices in problem solving such as reason abstractly and quantitatively, use appropriate tools strategically, and attend to precision
Apply technology to enhance learning:
- Use technology, including the internet, to produce writing and collaborate with others
This course does not meet any degree requirements.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)