Sep 21, 2023
MEDAS 135 - Medical Lab Procedures I
Acceptance into the MEDAS program and completion of all MEDAS courses with a grade of “B-” or better.
This course presents basic lab introduction, OSHA, CLIA, infection control, microbiology principles, specimen collection, care and use of the microscope, physical and chemical urinalysis, UA slide preparation, venipuncture, hematology testing: hemoglobin, hematocrit, ESR.
3 theory hours.
Guided Practice Hours
4 guided practice hours.
Vocational Program Course
Vocational program course.
AA General Elective
May be used as a general elective in the AA degree.
- capillary puncture
- Perform patient screening using established protocols
- Perform a quality control measure
- Obtain specimens and perform:
- CLIA waived urinalysis
- CLIA waived hematology test
- Incorporate critical thinking skills when performing patient assessment
- Incorporate critical thinking skills when performing patient care
- Show awareness of a patient’s concerns related to the procedure being performed
- Differentiate between normal and abnormal test results
- Maintain lab test results using flow sheets
- Participate in bloodborne pathogen training
- Select appropriate barrier/personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Perform handwashing
- Demonstrate proper disposal of biohazardous material
- Recognize the implications for failure to comply with Center for Disease Control (CDC) regulations in healthcare settings
- Use medical terminology correctly and pronounced accurately to communicate information to providers and patients
- Perform routine maintenance of administrative or clinical equipment
- Perform an inventory with documentation
- Apply HIPAA rules in regard to:
- release of information
- Document patient care accurately in the medical record
- Complete an incident report related to an error in patient care
- Comply with:
- safety signs
- Demonstrate proper use of:
- eyewash equipment
- fire extinguishers
- sharps disposal containers
- Use proper body mechanics
- Participate in a mock exposure event with documentation of specific steps
- Evaluate the work environment to identify unsafe working conditions
- Identify CLIA waived tests associated with common diseases
- Identify quality assurance practices in healthcare
Acceptance into the Medical Assistant program required.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)