Dec 09, 2023
NUTR& 101 - Nutrition
Grade of “C” or better in BIOL& 100 or BIOL& 160 or BIOL& 211 or instructor permission.
A study of the structure, function, and metabolism of nutrients and their roles in preventing diseases related to nutrient deficiency in healthy people. Analysis of food labels and diet planning. This course is intended for science, non-science, and health sciences students.
5 theory hours.
AA Specified Elective
Satisfies specified elective requirement for the AA degree.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Identify the sources of six classes of nutrients
- Analyze the dietary information on food labels
- Develop diet plans according to nutrition standards and guidelines
- Describe the structure and function of digestive system
- Explain the process of digestion, absorption, and transport of food and nutrients
- Identify the food sources of various nutrients
- Describe the structure, function, and chemical composition of carbohydrates, lipids, and proteins
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)