Jun 14, 2024  
2022-23 Catalog 
2022-23 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Resources

Financial Aid: Grants, Work Study, and Loans

GHC participates in a variety of federal and state grant, work-study, and loan programs. These programs are designed to assist you in paying for your educational expenses. For more information, visit Financial Aid. Eligibility for the following programs will be evaluated for all individuals who complete the financial aid application process:

  • Federal Pell Grants
  • Federal SEOG (Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants)
  • Washington College Grant (formerly the State Need Grant)
  • College Bound Scholarship
  • Passport to Careers
  • Need-Based Tuition Waiver
  • GHC Grant
  • Work Study


These programs require an additional application:

  • Subsidized Direct Loan
  • Unsubsidized Direct Loan
  • PLUS (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students)

For more information on financial aid opportunities, contact us by calling (360) 538-4081, send an email to finaid@ghc.edu, or stop by the Welcome Center in the HUB (100 Building).

Grays Harbor College does not and will not provide any commission, bonus, or other incentive payment based directly or indirectly on success in securing enrollments or financial aid to any persons or entities engaged in any student recruiting or admission activities or in making decisions regarding the award of student financial aid assistance. This paragraph shall not apply to the recruitment of foreign students residing in foreign countries who are not eligible to receive Federal student assistance.

Student Financial Aid Portal

Students may access their ctcLink portal and use the financial aid tab to check financial aid information after completing the FAFSA/WASFA application.

Questions concerning financial aid should be referred to the Grays Harbor College Financial Aid Office at (360) 538-4081, finaid@ghc.edu, or stop by the Welcome Center in the HUB (100 Building).

Federal and State Financial Aid Eligibility Requirements

In order to be eligible for financial aid, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Have a high school diploma, GED certificate, or meet the Ability to Benefit guidelines.
  • Be admitted to the college.
  • Plan to complete a college degree or certificate program at GHC and enroll in the required classes for that degree or certificate.
  • Enroll in at least 6 credits in order to be eligible for Direct Loan Program, SEOG, and work-study funds.
  • Demonstrate financial need (for most programs).
  • Make Satisfactory Academic Progress in your studies and meet the minimum Pace of Progression requirements.
  • Not currently in default on a student loan received at any school.
  • Not owe repayment of grant funds at any college attended.
  • Be a citizen or a permanent resident of the United States (certain exceptions if you are not a U.S. citizen but are a WA resident).
  • Be registered for Selective Service, if you’re male (you must register between the ages of 18-25).
  • Not been convicted of an illegal drug offense while receiving federal financial aid.
  • Submit your FAFSA or WASFA and turn in any required documents, following the GHC Application Process and Deadlines.

Student Emergency Financial Assistance

Offers emergency assistance to students who are experiencing a financial emergency or unanticipated expenses, which causes financial hardship. If you are experiencing a financial hardship, get more information on how to apply on the GHC Emergency Assistance Website.



Information about scholarship opportunities is posted on the GHC website www.ghc.edu. There are also many other websites with scholarship information. Not all these sites are accurate. One of the free sites recommended by the financial aid administrators in Washington is the www.theWashBoard.org

GHC Foundation Scholarships

The Grays Harbor College Foundation offers a variety of scholarships generously provided by many area organizations and supportive individuals. Applications and guidelines about the scholarship process are available at www.ghc.edu/foundation.

Academic Scholarships

The Grays Harbor College Foundation offers two General Scholarship cycles per year to students attending GHC. By completing an online application, students can easily apply to a variety of scholarships that have varying criteria. Scholarships can be awarded based on academic performance, financial need, course of study, and some are open to all students and have no criteria.

Applications and guidelines about the academic scholarship cycles are available at www.ghc.edu/foundation or contact the GHC Foundation office at (360)538-4024.

Tool Scholarships

The Grays Harbor College Foundation offers the Hughes Tools and James Davis Trust Tool Scholarship programs to eligible students.

Established in 2004 by Lawrence “Pat” Hughes and his wife, Mary Ellen, the Hughes Tool Scholarship helps GHC Industrial Technology and Nursing students purchase tools required for their particular field of vocational study. The Hughes believe students learning valuable job skills need to start with quality tools that can later be utilized when entering the workforce. Funds from the James Davis Trust are utilized for tool scholarships for Forestry and Natural Resources students attending Grays Harbor College to acquire the required tools and equipment for coursework that will later be utilized in the workforce.

Applications and guidelines about the Tool Scholarships are available at www.ghc.edu/foundation or contact the GHC Foundation office at (360)538-4024.

Athletic Scholarships

If you have an interest in competing in athletics at the collegiate level, there may be tuition assistance available for those able to make the rosters of our sports programs.  Go to our website at www.ghcathletics.edu and contact the coach of the sport program you would like to join.


Bishop Scholarship Program

Continuing College Education for Juniors, Seniors, and Graduate Students

Grays Harbor College administers the E.K. & Lillian F. Bishop Scholarship program for eligible students. While this program is not exclusively for students who earned associate degree from Grays Harbor College, applicants must have successfully completed their freshman and sophomore years in pursuit of a bachelor degree program or be enrolled in a master degree program. In addition, students must meet specific age, residency and scholastic requirements. This endowed scholarship program, created in memory of two generous benefactors, continues to recognize deserving Grays Harbor collegians with financial support to help them follow their educational pursuits.

Applications and guidelines about the scholarship process are available at www.ghc.edu/foundation/bishop or contact the College Development office at 360.538.4024.

Basic Food Employment and Training (BFET)

The BFET program provides funding and support to students who receive or are eligible to receive Basic Food Assistance (food stamps) but do not receive TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families). BFET can help with tuition, books and fees, and other support services. BFET also assists students with accessing child care subsidies through the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS). Enrolling in BFET and participating in an eligible academic program keeps Basic Food recipients in good standing with DSHS so their food benefits will continue while they attend college. For more information about available services and eligibility, please stop by the 800 Building, or call (360) 538-4058.

Opportunity Grant

The Opportunity Grant program is designed to help low- income students get prepared for and enter high wage, high demand occupations participating in an eligible academic program. The grant provides tuition and fees for up to 45 credits, as well as $1,000 for books and tools. The program is available for students at or below 200% of the poverty level who have been Washington State residents for at least a year, have earned less than an associate’s degree, and are interested in an eligible professional technical program. For more information about available services and eligibility, please stop by the 800 Building, or call (360) 538-4058.

Passport to Careers

The Passport to Careers program helps Washington students who have been in foster care attend college and prepare for careers. The program serves youth that have been in Washington state foster care, the federal unaccompanied refugee minors program, interstate compact program, and tribal foster care. In addition to college, students who prefer to enter the trades may participate in pre-apprenticeships or apprenticeships. Through the Passport to Careers program, students receive a scholarship that assists with the cost of attending college (tuition, fees, books, housing, transportation, and some personal expenses), support services from college staff, and priority consideration for additional financial aid. Contact the campus support staff in the TRiO office for more information at (360) 538-4036, or email trio@ghc.edu.

WorkFirst Services

The WorkFirst program provides funding and support to eligible parents who are currently receiving the Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) cash grant from the Department of Social and Health Service (DSHS) and are or would like to participate in an eligible academic program. Support includes: assistance with tuition, books and fees, paid work-study positions, a study area for parents, and referrals to college and community resources. For more information about available services and eligibility, please stop by the WorkFirst Office in the 800 Building, call (360) 538-4058.

Worker Retraining

The Worker Retraining Program provides support to current unemployment recipients (laid off or otherwise qualified to receive benefits) or those cut off within the last 48 months, dislocated homemakers, those in stop-gap employment, military personnel with separation papers or veterans separated within the last 48 months, self employed and now unemployed, and dislocated workers in the state of Washington. Support includes tuition, books, fees, other support services, and supplies for classes.

For more information about available services and eligibility, please stop by the 800 Building or call (360) 538-4058 for more information.

Veterans Tuition Waivers

Veterans and dependents of 100% disabled veterans may qualify for tuition waivers. Contact the Veterans Office at (360) 538-4174 or veterans@ghc.edu for additional information.

Selected programs of study at Grays Harbor College are approved by the Washington Student Achievement Council’s State Approving Agency (SAA) for enrollment of those eligible to receive benefits under Title 38 and Title 10, USC.

Tuition and Fees

Tuition Refunds and Financial Aid

Any student who withdraws from a quarter after receiving federal or state financial aid will have a refund calculated according to federal regulations governing the return of these funds. The Financial Aid Office will determine the amount of the refund and to which program it will be returned and will notify the Business Office. Students who completely withdraw or stop attending all of their classes may have to repay a portion of the funds they received. The Financial Aid Office will determine the amount and type of repayment and will notify the student if a repayment must be made. It is essential that students who will no longer be attending classes officially withdraw. Students receiving federal or state financial aid, who withdraw and receive a refund and/or owe a repayment, will have funds returned to the appropriate financial aid program within 45 days. The funds will be allocated in the following order:

  1. Unsubsidized Federal Stafford loans
  2. Subsidized Federal Stafford loans
  3. Federal PLUS loans received on behalf of the student
  4. Federal Pell Grants
  5. Academic Competitiveness Grant
  6. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  7. Other Title IV programs (except work-study)
  8. State programs
  9. The student

The refund and/or repayment is allocated up to the full amount the student received from a particular program.

Payment of Tuition and Fees

Tuition and fee information is available each term at Tuition and Fees. Students are required to pay tuition and fees in full by the designated date.