Jul 22, 2024  
2022-23 Catalog 
2022-23 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Admission to Grays Harbor College

Requirements to Attend

In accordance with WAC 131-12-010, any applicant for admission to Grays Harbor College shall be admitted when, as determined by the President or his or her designee, such applicant:

  • Is competent to profit from the curricular offerings of the college; and
  • Would not, by his or her conduct, create a disruptive atmosphere within the college inconsistent with the purposes of the institution; and
  • Is eighteen years of age or older; or
  • Is a high school graduate, or the equivalent; or
  • Has applied for admission under the provisions of a student enrollment options program such as running start or a successor program; or other local student enrollment options program.

Exceptions may be made by the Vice President for Student Services or designee.

All incoming degree seeking students must be evaluated for English, mathematics, and reading. The college may evaluate placement using the following measures:

  1. Smarter Balanced test scores on a students high school transcript, if the student is within one year of high school graduation. 
  2. Bridge to College courses and grades, as indicated on a student’s high school transcript.
  3. College placement test (or had placement determined by another means) from another Washington community or technical college.
  4. Grades in English and math courses listed on transfer transcripts (students may still need to take the reading test).
  5. Students who recently attended Aberdeen, Hoquiam, Montesano, or Elma high schools may be able to use their high school math grades to determine math placement.
  6. Self-Guided placement measures provided by college staff and facilitated by entry advisors.
  7. The College Placement Test (CPT).

The placement test measures reading, English, and math skills. Placement scores are used to determine whether a student can enroll in college level courses or whether pre-college classes must be taken first. We strongly encourage you to review and prepare for the test, so your placement can be as accurate as possible, potentially saving you time and money. This test is good for three years.

If you are required to take the placement test, follow these three steps:

Pay for the test at the Cashier or by calling (360) 538-4040. The fee must be paid before taking the test. Grays Harbor College charges the following fees for taking the College Placement Test (CPT):

  • Full CPT - $15.00
  • Each Section - $5.00 (In certain situations, you may only need to take part of the CPT).
  • Retakes - $5.00 per section with a maximum of $15.00

Prepare for the test by doing your own review of math and English skills or by using practice questions found on the College Placement website at: Placement Test.

There are several options for taking the placement test:

  1. GHC main campus in Aberdeen: walk-in placement testing is available from 9 am - 2 pm, Monday through Friday (except summer) in the Testing Center, (360) 538-4049.
  2. Riverview and Columbia Education Centers: contact the center closest to you for more information. Riverview (Raymond), (360) 538-4023; Columbia (Ilwaco), (360) 538-2539.
  3. Proctored Placement Test: If you do not live close to any GHC campus or another college that offers a placement test, you can take the GHC placement test by using a proctor. A proctor must be approved by the Testing Specialist at GHC and is typically an employee at a public library or school.

The college reserves the right to deny individuals entrance to specific programs if they do not meet established achievement level requirements. Admission to Grays Harbor College does not guarantee admission into all courses or all professional and technical education programs. You should consult this catalog for any specific admission requirements in your chosen field of study.

Senior Citizens

Senior citizens age sixty years and older, may enroll in “for credit” classes on a space-available basis. A maximum of two classes may be taken each quarter at a reduced rate. Other special fees normally charged students must also be paid by senior citizens. This offer does not include WAOL classes. The Welcome Center at the college can provide the current tuition rate for senior citizens.

Nursing Program Special Admission Requirements

Students interested in entering the Nursing Program must complete specific prerequisite courses, admission requirements, and a Nursing Program Application Form to be considered for admission. Nursing program information and application packets are available online (Nursing). The Nursing DTA/MRP degree is accredited by the:

Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc.
3390 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 1400
Atlanta GA 30326
(404) 975-5000


Residency status for tuition purposes requires that an independent student or the parents of a dependent student have a domicile in the state of Washington for the twelve months immediately preceding the quarter application is made. The term “domicile” denotes a person’s true, fixed and permanent home and place of habitation. Physical presence in a place is not in itself proof of domicile, and there are a number of factors that are used to determine residency. The factors include, but are not limited to, automobile and driver’s licenses, voter registration, permanent full-time employment in the state of Washington, address and other facts listed on a federal income tax return, purchase of a residence or monthly rental receipts for one year immediately prior to the commencement of the quarter for which application is made. Active duty military personnel, their spouses and dependents stationed in the state of Washington can have nonresident fees waived by providing military identification to the Welcome Center.

Application for a change in residency classification will be accepted up to the 30th calendar day following the first day of instruction of the quarter for which application to the college is made. Documentation received after the 30th calendar day will be considered for the following quarter. You will be contacted by the residency office once your documents have been reviewed and a decision has been made. Residency Questionnaire forms can be obtained in the Welcome Center or by emailing enrollment@ghc.edu

Admission Procedures

Procedures for admissions are published on the Grays Harbor College website at www.ghc.edu, and are provided by the Welcome Center at (360) 532-9020. Official transcripts from each college you have attended must be sent to the Welcome Center for consideration of transfer credit. It is your responsibility to contact other institutions and request that transcripts and testing scores be forwarded in a timely manner. All official transcripts sent in this way become the property of the college.

All students must complete an application for admission to the college. The student may apply online or via paper application. Online applications are available at www.ghc.edu/apply. Paper applications can be obtained in the Welcome Center and must be submitted there. The application must be completed by the student.

International Students

International students wishing to utilize an F1 student visa must meet additional requirements. In order to be issued an I-20 form you must:

Submit a completed Washington Community College admission application;

Send official translated copies of all scholastic records (from secondary school, previous college, language schools, etc.). Transcripts to be utilized for credit transfer must be evaluated by a NACES accredited evaluation service;

Provide declaration and certification of finances or a notarized statement of support (current tuition rates are on the website); and

Submit proof of proficiency in the English language. A TOEFL iBT score of 61 or above or native English fluency is required. To qualify for native proficiency the language of instruction in the student’s secondary school must have been English.

Registration Procedures

Check the GHC website at www.ghc.edu for the quarterly schedule of courses and for details on the registration process. If you are a new student, you will register for your first quarter during your entry advising session. All currently enrolled students may register for summer and fall during spring quarter. 

Student Identification Number (SID)

You will be assigned a nine-digit number to use as a Student Identification Number (SID). You will use this number identification on course rosters, college identification cards, etc. Your SID will be assigned automatically when you are admitted to the college or when you enroll for the first time in a community education course.

Personal Identification Number (PIN)

Grays Harbor College issues two different personal identification numbers to students.

  1. Global PIN: This is a six-digit number that will be randomly assigned by Enrollment Services and given during program advising. Use the Student Global PIN, and student SID to access your student information online and register for future quarters.
  2. Registration PIN: This is also a randomly assigned six-digit number assigned by Enrollment Services to register for the first quarter.

Priority Registration: Veterans and dependents receive first priority in registration and register the business day prior to continuing students. Continuing students are able to register one week prior to newly admitted and returning students.

Students wishing to enroll in a course on or after the first day of the quarter must obtain the instructor’s permission.

Change of Address

Students should keep their address up to date by logging into their portal at my.ghc.edu. Students whose mail is returned by the postal service will be blocked from registering until their address is updated. Student employees who change their address should also update with the Human Resources department.

Under the Washington Administration Code (WAC) and the policies of the State Board for Community & Technical Colleges, we reserve the right to deny admission to, or cancel the registration of, any individual whose enrollment is inconsistent with the best interests of the student, other students, or the established policies of Grays Harbor College.