Jul 22, 2024  
2021-2022 Catalog 
2021-2022 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Services

Welcome Center

The Welcome Center, located in the 100 Building, is open to all students wanting information on anything related to Grays Harbor College. The Welcome Center is the home of enrollment services, which includes admissions, registration, and records. Students looking to start at the college are encouraged to start at the Welcome Center, as assistance is provided in applying for admissions, financial aid, program information and placement testing. Self-service computers are available to all students wanting to view and print information related to Grays Harbor College. Students can complete registration transactions, request transcripts, change their program of study, apply for admissions, and apply for financial aid at the Welcome Center.

Student Support Center (HUB)

The Student Support Center is an important educational resource and provides students with comprehensive services that enhance student success. These services include counseling, veterans, career exploration, and AccessAbility support services.

Student support services are also available at the Riverview and Columbia Education Centers. Services include access to tutors, computer labs, workshops, and assistance with accessing other resources. Contact the Riverview Education Center at (360) 538-4023 or the Columbia Education Center at (360) 538-2539 to learn more.


The relationship that you develop with your advisor is very important to being successful. Visit your advisor frequently with questions about programs, transferring, educational planning or any issue affecting your success. It will be especially important to meet with your advisor prior to the start of registration. This is your opportunity to review your educational plan and make any adjustments before deciding which classes to register for next quarter. Be sure you contact your advisor early to schedule your appointment.

Entry Advisors

Entry Advisors are advisors who assist new students, transfer students and those returning after an absence in registering for classes their first quarter. A program advisor will be assigned to each student by the entry advisor. This advisor is typically a faculty member with expertise in the student’s area of study.

Advising is Important

Never underestimate the value of academic advising. Your advisor can offer help and advice that can ultimately save you time and money.

Why you should work with your academic advisor:

Academic advisors can help you avoid mistakes like these:

  • Taking courses that do not meet graduation requirements;
  • Failing to meet admission requirements for other colleges;
  • Missing prerequisites and deadlines for required courses;
  • Seeing long-range plans disrupted when not all courses are offered every quarter; and
  • Enrolling in courses which are too difficult or too easy.

What you can expect from your academic advisor:

  • Knowledge of institutional programs, procedures and policies, graduation and major requirements, deadlines, registration, and transfer information;
  • Assistance in finding the right resources to help solve problems;
  • Guidance in planning your career goals; and
  • Assistance in developing an educational plan.

What your academic advisor expects from you:

You must take responsibility for your education by:

Reading the GHC catalog;

Asking your advisor about certificate and/or degree requirements in your area of study. Be sure you are always moving toward your goal;

Submitting all transcripts from other institutions to be evaluated;

Informing your advisor of all tests you’ve taken (SAT, AP, CLEP, vocational interest/aptitude or others) and making sure the college has an official copy of your scores;

Learning the entrance requirements at your transfer school, including any special requirements; and

Knowing when registration begins every quarter and meeting with your advisor before that date.

Change of Program or Advisor

A student who wants to change his/her program or advisor must complete a Change of Program/Advisor Form online or at Major Change. Assistance can also be provided over the phone by contacting the Student Support Center at (360) 538-4099. Completed forms should be turned into the Welcome Center.

Educational Planning

Whether you are pursuing a transfer degree or a professional/ technical degree at GHC, you should plan your education carefully. Here are a few guidelines to help you:

Do you want to transfer? A transfer degree prepares you to enter a university with all or most of the general university requirements (GURs) of a bachelor degree completed. Work closely with your advisor to select courses that will not only transfer but may complete a requirement for your Bachelor’s degree.

Do you want to enter the workforce? A professional/ technical degree or certificate prepares you to enter the workforce with skills and knowledge in the field you have chosen. Work closely with your advisor to learn the coursework required and what quarters those classes are available.

Establish a career goal as soon as possible. If you are not sure of what career you want, talk to GHC counselors, advisors, and instructors about your career options. Visit the Student Support Center to do some career exploration. Making a sound career decision early in your college journey saves time and money.

Know your transfer school. If you plan to transfer, consult with your program advisor and/or GHC counselors and contact the program advisors at your next school as soon as possible. Universities differ in requirements, so obtaining accurate transfer information is vital for a smooth transition between schools. You will also need to know application and financial aid deadlines.

Counseling and Career Exploration

Academic advising refers to topics such as selection of an appropriate major, college transfer information, program planning, class scheduling, study skills and habits, test anxiety, time management, and overcoming learning difficulties.

Career/vocational advising assists students in understanding their values, skills, interests, and personality characteristics as these relate to their occupational choice. Students who are interested in assessments can choose from a number of career, interest, and personality inventories.

Personal counseling is helpful in learning how to deal with pressures or concerns which interfere with academic success. These may include assertiveness, crisis, self-esteem, stress, family and relationship concerns, interpersonal conflicts, parenting difficulties, anxiety, depression, or grief issues.

The Student Support Center also promotes student success through presentations, orientations, human development classes, consultations, and workshops.

AccessAbility Services

Grays Harbor College (GHC) supports the rights of students with disabilities to an accessible education. GHC is committed to providing equal access to all college programs and activities.

Services and accommodations are available through the AccessAbility Services (AAS) office on a case-by-case basis to qualified students with known and/or documented disabilities. AAS can provide accessibility information regarding classroom accommodations, liaison with faculty, community referrals, and medical reserve parking authorizations. AAS can be reached at (360) 538-4099, HUB 146, or accessibility@ghc.edu.To receive catalog information in an alternative format, please contact AAS.

Veterans Benefits

Veterans, eligible members of the selected reserves, and dependents of service connected deceased or 100% disabled veterans interested in attending the college and utilizing state or federal benefits must contact the Veterans Office in the Student Support Center (HUB). Applicants may contact the Veterans Office at (360) 538-4174 or veterans@ghc.edu. Information is also available on the Grays Harbor College website at https://www.ghc.edu/studentservices/veteran-resources.

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679(e), Grays Harbor College adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from VA. Grays Harbor College will not:

  • Prevent the student’s enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to the student;
  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny the student access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution. 

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Produce the VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) by the first day of class;
  • Provide a written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies

G.I. Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Students are reminded to familiarize themselves with the scholastic standards and the academic regulations stated in this catalog. Failure to maintain satisfactory progress or changes in enrollment levels could result in the reduction, cancellation, or repayment of education benefits.

Students who receive education benefits must meet the following minimum standard requirements in addition to those required by the college:

  1. Veterans, reservists and dependents using benefits must declare a program of study or degree and will be paid only for those classes that apply toward graduation from the declared program of study. No benefits will be paid for repeated courses or programs previously completed.
  2. Complete all coursework paid for. Grades of “I,” “N,” or “W” will result in an overpayment; this means you will have to repay some or all of the benefits you received.
  3. Students receiving benefits must notify the Veterans Office when changing classes, changing program of study, withdrawing from classes or when deciding to stop attending school.

It is the student’s responsibility to complete applications, pay tuition and fees and maintain contact with the Veterans Administration and the college.

It is also the students’ responsibility to submit transcripts for all work completed at other colleges along with a joint services transcript.