Sep 21, 2023
READ 090 - College Preparatory Reading/Study I
Appropriate reading placement test score or instructor permission or a grade of C- or better in READ 080 .
This course emphasizes improvement of reading, vocabulary, and study skills necessary for understanding and learning college-level material. Curriculum includes short writing assignments. Reading selections - academic, general interest, and vocational - are from text and online sources.
5 theory hours.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Show comprehension of college preparatory and college level reading material
- Identify topic, main idea and supporting details
- Identify writers’ patterns of organization
- Recognize authors’ inferences
- Identify author purpose and tone
- Increase vocabulary knowledge to improve reading skills
- Use context clues to define unfamiliar words in reading material
- Apply study techniques to increase comprehension of reading material
- Use metacognitive strategies to monitor and strengthen comprehension
- Use critical thinking to analyze and evaluate reading material
This course does not meet any degree requirements.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)