Jun 05, 2023
BA 104 - Mathematics for Business
A grade of “C” or better in MATH 070 , placement in MATH 097 , or instructor permission.
Review of basic arithmetic and algebraic fundamentals and their application to typical business problems. A practical mathematical approach to business problems, such as cash and trade discounts, commissions, simple and compound interest, markups and markdowns, net present values and future values, finance charges, loan and mortgage payments, various taxes and types of insurance will be employed.
5 theory hours.
Vocational Program Course
Vocational program course.
AA General Elective
May be used as a general elective in the AA degree.
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide with fractions, decimals, and percentages
- Convert decimal to fractions (and vice versa) and decimals to percentages (and vice versa)
- Use equations to solve business problems
- Use percentage formulas to solve a variety of business problems
- Complete invoices and calculate trade and cash discounts, as well as due dates and amounts due
- Calculate markup and mark down
- Compute simple interest and solve for principle, rate, and time
- Compute the future value from a present amount and vice versa
- Calculate the future and present amount of an annuity
- Compute the periodic payment amount to retire a debt
- Calculate how large a periodic payment must be to reach a future amount
- Calculate the finance charge and new balance for credit cards and lines of credit
- Compute installment loan payments, APR and finance charge rebates
- Compute monthly mortgage payments, PITI and closing costs
- Calculate sales, excise and property taxes
- Calculate life, property and vehicle insurance premiums
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)