Jun 01, 2023
BIOL& 160 - General Biology with Lab
READ 090 or placement in college level reading.
ENGL 095 or placement in ENGL& 101 , MATH 097 or placement in MATH 098 or higher, concurrent enrollment in BIOL& 160 Lab.
An introduction to the processes and principles that are common to all living things. The course has a strong emphasis on molecular and cellular biology, including: chemistry of life, cell structure and function, Mendelian genetics, and evolutionary theory as a mechanism for the diversity of life that exists on this planet. This course is intended for, but not limited to, continuing on in biology or the health sciences and is a prerequisite for Human Anatomy & Physiology (BIOL& 241/242).
4 theory hours.
Guided Practice Hours
2 guided practice hours.
AA Specified Elective
Satisfies science or lab requirement area A distribution or specified elective for the AA degree.
Upon completion of this course, students will:
- Demonstrate knowledge and communicate the process of science as it applies to biology
- Describe and identify the characteristics of life shared by all living organisms
- Demonstrate understanding of atomic structure
- Demonstrate knowledge of cell function and structure
- Describe the process of biological evolution and its relationship to both the unity and the diversity of life
- Describe the classification of living organisms and in doing so will
- Identify the differences between the eukaryotic kingdoms of life
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)