Sep 21, 2023
READ 080 - Reading/Study I
Appropriate reading placement test score or instructor permission.
This course helps improve reading skills with an emphasis on comprehension, vocabulary building, and study strategies. Reading selections - academic, general interest, and motivational - are from text and online sources. Designed as preparation for READ 090 .
5 theory hours.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Show comprehension of college preparatory reading material
- Identify topic, main idea and supporting details
- Begin to identify writers’ patterns of organization
- Begin to recognize author inference
- Increase vocabulary knowledge to improve reading skills
- Use context clues to define unfamiliar words in reading material
- Apply study techniques to increase comprehension of reading material
- Understand reading as a process
- Use metacognitive strategies to monitor and strengthen comprehension
This course does not meet any degree requirements.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)